Loudon County was formed on May 27, 1870 from portions of Roane, Monroe and Blount counties. Originally, it was named Christiana County, but a few days later the name was changed to Loudon in honor of nearby colonial Fort Loudoun named for John Campbell.
The City of Loudon is located along the Tennessee River in eastern Tennessee approximately 25 miles southwest of Knoxville off of Interstate 75. It is the county seat of Loudon County. The population as of the 2010 census was 5,381.
The City of Loudon was incorporated in 1927. It is governed by a Mayor and four (4) Council members.
The lake and golf communities in Loudon are Tellico Village, Rarity Bay and Tennessee National. Tellico Village has approximately 3500 residents.